
Every story from the ballpark, 31 posts and counting
When Harry Dallara died in Spartanburg on Friday, April 27, 2012, he had at least four nicknames. Three were based upon his skill as a tire salesman, first at Montgomery Ward and later at Sears Roebuck, beginning at the old downtown Sears store on Church Street near Wofford College.
| METRIC | VALUE |
|---|---|
| Reading Time | 8 MIN |
| Total Views | 72 |
| Engagement | HIGH |
š TAP AGAIN TO READ FULL STORY
At least that's what the quirky late 1960s hippie songwriter Biff Rose might say if he were alive and living in Spartanburg today. In fact he might say, "They're happening!" because the upcoming week of October 22nd-28th will feature no fewer than three events related to the launch of my Duncan Park: Stories of a Classic American Ballpark by The Hub City Press, the leading literary publisher in the Southern United States.
| METRIC | VALUE |
|---|---|
| Reading Time | 1 MIN |
| Total Views | 69 |
| Engagement | HIGH |
š TAP AGAIN TO READ FULL STORY
One of the absolute coolest items of memorabilia from the tenure of The Spartanburg Sluggers at Duncan Park Stadium is a colorful handmade poster announcing āBaseBall,ā a game between the Sluggers and the Greensboro Red Birds on āMonday Nite May 26th at Duncan Park.ā The heavy stock on which the image is painted is dark green; the lettering is partly pink-orange-ish, partly yellow, and something like red for the name of the opposing team.
| METRIC | VALUE |
|---|---|
| Reading Time | 5 MIN |
| Total Views | 107 |
| Engagement | HIGH |
š TAP AGAIN TO READ FULL STORY
The original Friends of Duncan Park organization was formed in 2005 by a concerned group of citizens in response to the deterioration and potential loss of Duncan Park Stadium, the grand old lady just off Union Street which at that point had proudly stood for 80 years as a beloved local landmark.
| METRIC | VALUE |
|---|---|
| Reading Time | 5 MIN |
| Total Views | 80 |
| Engagement | HIGH |
š TAP AGAIN TO READ FULL STORY
Bob Wellman wasnāt the first manager of the Spartanburg Phillies. When the Phillies arrived in 1963, their first skipper was Lou Kahn (66W-58L), followed the next year by Dick Teed (47-80) and by Moose Johnson in 1965 (55-67). Wellman arrived in 1966, his 11th year as a Minor League manager after having played for 15 years in Minor League Baseball and parts of 2 seasonsā1948 and 1950āfor the Philadelphia Athletics in the Big Time.
| METRIC | VALUE |
|---|---|
| Reading Time | 7 MIN |
| Total Views | 71 |
| Engagement | HIGH |
š TAP AGAIN TO READ FULL STORY
And was he even Bob Branson? Newspaper accounts from the 1930s and ā40s spell his surname variously as Branson, Brunson, and Brinson, and there is a better than even chance that there are other spellings out there that I have not encountered. Such is the ill-informed fate of many former Negro League and independent Black semipro ballplayers, and that is who Bob Bransonāand yes, it is in fact Bransonāwas.
| METRIC | VALUE |
|---|---|
| Reading Time | 9 MIN |
| Total Views | 89 |
| Engagement | HIGH |
š TAP AGAIN TO READ FULL STORY
Black baseball was a prominent feature of the history of Duncan Park Stadium from its very beginning. The stadium opened in the summer of 1926, and even then there had been a Black team called the Spartanburg Sluggers playing in the Hub City since at least August 8, 1911.
| METRIC | VALUE |
|---|---|
| Reading Time | 6 MIN |
| Total Views | 32 |
| Engagement | HIGH |
š TAP AGAIN TO READ FULL STORY
Thereās much minutiae involved in a Minor League Baseball game that many fans never notice and most never think about. At Duncan Park Stadium one of its most important components was the cadre of ballpark employees that ensured the dependable operation of the facilities. Among these was a core group of local educators who supplemented their meager teacher salaries by working at the ballpark during their summer break and who were responsible as teachers for what one of them called āthe scoreboard that was most grammatically correctā of any Minor League scoreboard.
| METRIC | VALUE |
|---|---|
| Reading Time | 7 MIN |
| Total Views | 40 |
| Engagement | HIGH |
š TAP AGAIN TO READ FULL STORY
One of the surprising but familiar games played early on at Duncan Park stadium was that between the New York Yankees and the Binghamton Triplets on April 14, 1937, during spring training. The Yankees had won the 1936 World Series and five different World Series titles since 1923, and their lineup featured Lou Gehrig, Joe Dimaggio, Bill Dickey, Tony Lazzeri, Lefty Grove, and Red Ruffing.
| METRIC | VALUE |
|---|---|
| Reading Time | 7 MIN |
| Total Views | 38 |
| Engagement | HIGH |
š TAP AGAIN TO READ FULL STORY